Wednesday, July 10, 2024

The Winds are Blowing! Get Ready! - Spencer Smith



 


Years ago, an up and coming "Independent Baptist" was doing a livestream about his upcoming conference called "Idea Day". He wanted to know what topics he could cover during the conference to help your church. There were probably 30 people in the live chat. Not a big deal.


A few guys asked some basic questions about church growth, and I asked "what can I do to help keep emergent church principles out of my church". He skipped my question several times. He even said at the end, "if there are no more questions, then we are going to go". I asked my question three times again and again. He paused, squinted at the screen, and said "Well, since there are no more questions, I guess we will go. See you all at the conference." It was obvious that he was ignoring my question.

Today that guy is a left wing evangelical. He used to preach in chapel in Independent Baptist Bible colleges in California, but now they won't even touch him. He even wrote an entire blog post about his disdain for Ernest Pickering. Yikes.


The winds of this stuff are blowing, and you would be a fool to ignore the fact that these things are coming to a pew near you soon. Pastors need to be aware and do the work of an evangelist, and be "vigilant" to prepare yourself and your people for the day that this comes into your church. If not, then you absolutely could lose your entire youth department to these issues. Don't fall asleep on this. It's coming. The music is just the start...

No comments:

Post a Comment